What are the Most Important Digital Tactics?
With the advent of the terms “googling” and “googled” as an official verb in the dictionary, it has become apparent how the purchasing process has changed for businesses. Google search has made it easier than ever for people to find the information they’re looking for. This increase in available information has led to the development of the knowledgeable customer. No longer do businesses find their customers, instead it is the customers who find the businesses. This shift in roles has made lead generation and nurturing digital tactics a necessity in order for businesses to be discovered by prospects that are carefully sorting through an ever growing number of search results.
There are six essential digital tactics that help influence lead generation and nurturing for businesses…
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Social Media Optimization (SMO)
- Marketing Automation
Lead Generation and Nurturing
If your business is falling short of generating and nurturing leads, follow these six tactics in order to increase your visibility where your customer’s see it most, search engines.
1) Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
If no one can find your company online then lead generation becomes much more difficult. Search Engine Optimization increases a company’s search ranking organically to generate leads. This is done through:
- Relevant Key Word Research: Relevant key word research collects data on relevant key words and phrases that a customer is likely use in a search. The key words should be based on your business’s customer demographic and location. A competitive analysis can be created to determine how many other businesses use these terms in order to understand the likelihood of being viewed.
- Content Adaption: Adapting content to include your key words is crucial for SEO. Besides key words, content should have relevant wording instead of the same words over and over. Google has adapted it’s algorithm to detect whether your webpage and other sources are made up of quality content or just a high quantity of key words.
- Integration of Social Media: Once your business has created content spiced up with relevant key words it’s time to share it. The more places you can get your key word content, the more likely it is to generate leads.
SEO is one of the first steps to lead generation and has been shown to increase ROI. Without this digital tactic, prospects will have trouble finding your business. But if you think your business doesn’t need SEO, that’s fine. Your competitors using SEO will be more than happy to take the customers that you missed out on.
2) Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
Pay-per-click is a lot like SEO but instead of trying to achieve an optimal search rank organically, PPC bids on key words to improve a business’s rank. The ad or search is only paid for if it is clicked on. This allows a business to only pay for an ad or word if they have an interested party viewing it, otherwise it costs nothing. There are two types of PPC tactics:
- Search Based PPC: Search based PPC bids on key words to rank a page higher when someone searches for the word or phrase in order to drive traffic to a site. This is a successful method of lead generations because your business knows the person is already interested in what they’re selling since they have made the effort to look it up.
- Display Based PPC: Display based PPC is a PPC ad that can appear on many websites in the content of the page. Your business can restrict where the ad appears by demographic or geographical targeting in order to better focus the ad to your objective lead.
PPC is a great digital tactic for lead generation because it is easier than SEO and is a good source for boosting revenue even though it is paid for. A great thing about PPC is that it also uses remarketing technology. If a person clicks on your website or ad through a PPC search your business has the option of having the ad follow that person for a defined amount of time which can increase a lead’s engagement with your business.
3) Content Marketing
Content marketing is the practice of creating content that targets your businesses audience and drives traffic to your site. SEO and content marketing usually go hand and hand. Where there is great SEO, there is usually quality content to back it up. The types of content that increase lead generation and nurturing are:
- Gated Content: Gated content is content that requires a lead to fill out a form with their information in order to access it. This allows businesses to generate more leads by acquiring contact information from interested customers as to nurture them further with inbound marketing
- White Paper: White paper is a large quantity of content that is designed to offer up a business’s product or service in order to solve a problem. This helps generate and nurture leads by giving them the information on how your business can help them.
- Blogs: Blogs use SEO to place organically in searches and provide constant content to nurture a lead and generate new leads by keeping buyers informed.
- Websites: Websites have been shown to be the most important places for quality content. Top B2B Marketing Channels and Tactics place website content as the most effective form of content marketing (70%) for B2B companies.
- Social Media: Social media keeps leads interacting with your business by giving them constant updates and resources.
- Survey: Surveys are a generalized overview of statistical information based on a large group that gives a lead confidence in a business and its services.
Content is the main driver in almost every digital marketing strategy. Without quality content, your digital marketing efforts will not be successful in generating leads or nurturing them. By establishing quality content through content marketing your business sets up all your other digital tactics for success
4) Email Marketing
Email marketing is one of best ways for businesses to reach out to leads and nurture them. Email Marketing improves lead generation and nurturing through:
- Email Content: Email content allows you to reach out directly to a lead and further nurture them by providing relevant content.
- Content Distribution: Email marketing acts as the delivery system for content. The Content Marketing Institute cites that 80% of content marketers use email marketing to distribute their content. Email is the most efficient and unobtrusive way to keep a prospect or lead engaged and updated on your company in order to nurture them.
- Personalized Emails: Blast emails are no longer an effective lead generation or nurturing source. The website, Marketing Land sites that research shows personalized emails were discovered to give six times greater revenue per email and improve transaction rates. This is because leads are more likely to click on an email that relate to them beyond the general personalization of their name.
- Event Triggered Emails: Research by Gartner shows that business who implement event triggered email programs have a 600% improvement in campaign performances over traditional email marketing. Event triggered email allows a business to nurture a lead by only sending them emails when they have communicated interest through their digital behavior. This moves a lead through the sales funnel faster by nurturing them when they still have your business fresh in mind.
5) Social Media Optimization (SMO)
The goal of social media marketing is for a business to obtain added awareness and keep their leads engaged in an unobtrusive manner. But to implement social media successfully a business must know how to optimize its presence. When posting on social media outlets you want your content to have optimum views to generate and nurture leads. In order for this to happen your business’s posts must be appealing and upfront when the highest numbers of people are on a specific social media site. Below are the different ways to optimize your social media presence in Twitter, Linkedin, and Facebook.
- Twitter: More and more businesses are now using Twitter. Twitter Benchmark by Industry cites that brands have recorded a 43% increase in followers between 2013 and 2014. To get this increase your business must know how to find and appeal to leads. Twitter appeals to leads most when:
- Posts are made public Mondays through Thursdays from 1pm-3pm
- Includes photos
- Content summarized in one line
- Linkedin: Linkedin is a good social media site for B2B companies. There you can find leads that align with your B2B clientele and connect and nurture them in a relaxed social setting. Optimize your Linkedin presence by:
- Posting content Tuesdays through Thursdays
- Creating messages centered around your content
- Paying for the Premium Linkedin membership to obtain full access to lead insight
- Continuing to share your content after it is posted
- Embedding key words in your business page
- Facebook: Facebook is the largest social network available to sale and marketing professions. With Facebook’s network ranging in the multibillions your business can appeal to a large population by:
- Posting content between 1pm and 3pm
- Posing question based posts
- Delivering a variety of content including photos and video
6) Marketing Automation
Every digital tactic has a variety of benefits. But when your business is keeping track of each individual tactic separately you aren’t going to achieve the best result possible. This is where marketing automation comes in. Marketing automation takes your segmented marketing and sales tactics and integrates them in an automated system. Prospect’s activity is monitored and data is collected in order to deliver a more personal customer experience with greater lead generation and nurturing capabilities. Marketing automation give your business:
- Advanced Workflow: Have your marketing efforts automated. When a lead completes a certain action like filling out a form for gated content, that action will put the lead into one of your buyer persona categories and prompt a personalized email based on interest to be sent out. Marketing automation makes repetitive task easier and more personal, increases efficiency, and reduces human error when generating and nurturing a lead.
- Lead Scoring: Lead scoring takes quantifiable data gathered through the tracking of a lead’s behavior and actions to ensure only qualified leads are being nurtured. Each interaction with your business increases a lead’s score whether it is clicking on an email, visiting different web pages, clicking on a blog, or following your social media. Every type of interaction a lead has is recorded and combined to know where leads are in the sales and nurturing process.
- Marketing and Sales Alignment: Have your marketing team work for your sale’s goals. Marketing automation makes sure only qualified leads go on to sales for greater success. With marketing automation, sales can view where a lead is in the nurturing process and how close they are to moving from a marketing qualified lead to a sales qualified lead.
Take Your Marketing and Sale Efforts to the Next Level.
The sooner you implement marketing automation to manage your efforts, the sooner your business can start reaping the benefits. Gleanster Research cites that 79% of top performing companies have been using marketing automation for at least two years. Sales teams know time is money. Don’t waste any more time on marketing efforts that fail effectively generate and nurture leads. Learn more about how Biznet’s expert marketing automation specialists can help you today and get on the path to increased ROI.